Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Bits and Pieces

We are trying to keep this current, but it is hard to get/take the time. Tuesday we bought groceries and decided to get a taxi home. The guy we flagged down stopped in the middle of the busy street; but I wanted to make sure he could find where we stay, so I motioned for him to pull over; he did --- half way --- so now he is blocking two lanes of traffic instead of one. After calling someone he decided he could get us home; but we were headed away from home so he had to go quite aways to a major intersection. So it was a longer ride then normal but he would not accept the additional fare. What a contrast; in Malaysia the drivers wanted every dime they could get.
Wednesday at the Temple!! I used Mandarin for the first time (reading from a card). Those working with me spoke slow and said I pronounced correctly; I don't believe them.
Also today (Wed) we again used a taxi; trying to baby Joyce's foot and also because we bought take out near the Temple and wanted to get home before the food got cold. We bought 1)Chicken fried rice, 2)Dumplings, 3)Mormon ming(noodles). This shop is very popular with the Missionaries so the noodles are named for the church.
This driver had to turn around; so he made a 6/7 point U-turn while lots of traffic waited. He is the first driver we have used that spoke English. I told him about road rage in the US and that drivers could never do in the US what they get away with here. I thought his response was very profound;;;"We are friends".
Well time to go, we have a great schedule; Tues/Wed we go in early, 9AM; Wed/Thur, 1:00 PM.
When I have more time I will add pictures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jan 13, 2008

Anonymous said...

I hit the wrong key when writing my last comment. This is my first time using a blog, so I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.

Lynn